Creative Colorado living

Slide Show

Etsy Bandana Skirt Sets for Dolls

I know I've been neglecting my blog...  A LOT!  We bought a fixer upper 1970's brick ranch, I've gotten my dream job of an art teacher at my kids' school, and of course I'm the mom of two busy kids.  I still have my etsy shop and I'm slowly updating listings. 
 I have so many new and fun colors for American Girl dolls.  Light purple, dark purple, pink, red, turquoise, green, gray, chartreuse......
 You can pick the applique design just like the girl sets I have.  Western star, horse head or cowboy boot.
 Living in Colorado is perfect for making these western sets.
 I was able to find the cutest red cowboy boots to match.
 And I have lots of cowboy hats in stock these days.  Just in time for the holidays!

 I have a brand new serger that I bought MONTHS ago but haven't found the time to figure out yet.  I'm so excited to learn how to use it and I know sewing the doll shirts will go a lot faster.  I will be making black shirts too since I think they look great with the bandana skirts.
 And of course each doll set can be made with a matching girl set for a wonderful, custom Christmas or birthday present.
Happy Holidays!!!

Ruby Jean's Closet Peony Dress Review for Pattern Revolution

Here's my review I did for Pattern Revolution.  Cute pattern!

This dress isn't my first from Ruby Jean's Closet.  I also made (and love) the Uptown Girl Dress (below).
The Peony Dress is so stinkin sweet!  I was drawn to how the flowers add a special twist on a peasant dress.

This dress was a very easy sew.  Directions are actually right on top of photos for each step!

The dress pattern is from 12m-10.  File is 38 pages long, with only 12 pattern pages to print!  I love how you make a casing using double fold bias tape and then insert elastic for the neck, chest, and sleeves.  I thought it was very fun to do this for some reason!

I made a size 6 for my 6 year old and fit was spot on.  I used some blue fabric I got at a thrift store for this dress.  $1 for 2yds!!!!  It's very lightweight, and cotton I guess with a linen like weave.  I just knew it would be perfect for this dress with my daughter's beautiful blue eyes. 

Each sleeve has 7 groups of flowers and 3 on the front.

I made each 3 layer flower cluster with two layers of the aqua material and the middle layer from leftover plaid material.  I love how it makes the flowers a bit more interesting.  I love the end look, but next time I might do a few less clusters to make it less poufy, but I really do love the look.

I added my fabric name tag to the back.

I made a matching flower cluster for a headband, adding beads to the center.  I think when I make the next dress, that I will add beads to the flowers on the front of the dress and my daughter agreed!

Having fun on our photo shoot.

My son had to get in there too, my daughter just adores her big brother and he helps get her to smile for real, not the lovely fake smile.

I think this is a comfy dress that can be dressed up or down.  I could definitely see it for a wedding, with the dress in linen and the flowers in matching layers of tulle and satin.  I made satin flowers by melting the edges here and think they would look amazing.  Not sure how well they would wash...

Or for fall- the dress in a plaid fabric with matching solid flowers would be lovely.

Excited to add yet another beautiful dress from Ruby Jean's Closet to my daughter's wardrobe.  Till next time!  -ellen

Post Signature

Post Signature